Important Things To Know If You Are Involved In An Accident

What must I do at the accident scene?
If you are in an accident in New York, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to stop and exchange information with the involved drivers. If the car accident caused property damage only, then exchange information about your driver license, insurance, and registration with the involved drivers.

If the property damage of any person is $1,001 or more, all the involved drivers are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to file form MV-104 (Report of Motor Vehicle Accident). File form MV-104 with the DMV no more than 10 days after the accident. The DMV can suspend your driver license if you fail to report an accident.  Please contact the personal injury lawyers at Abend & Silber, PLLC for assistance in getting these forms and filling them out in compliance with the law.

If a person is injured or killed, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to immediately notify the police. All the involved drivers and the police must file an accident report with the DMV. It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident that causes personal injury or death.

How do I get a copy of my accident report?
Our staff and our investigators usually can obtain the report for you very quickly.  Just call one of our New York personal injury lawyers for a free consultation. If you wish to get a copy yourself, call or visit the local police agency or precinct where the accident occurred. Ask the agency if your report is available and what the fee is.

– or –

To get a copy from the DMV, use form MV-198C (Request for Copy of Accident Report).